Judge K basically tells ASA Kridos his office sucks

Chat, rants and banter for Palm Beach County State Attorney's Office employees
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:28 pm

Judges tosses part of prosecutors' case against alleged Buck Wild gang

Tue June 14, 7:15PM

Circuit Judge John Kastrenakes gave the prosecutor one last chance Tuesday to convince him not to throw out conspiracy and racketeering charges against five men accused of being members of the alleged Riviera Beach gang Buck Wild.

The moment came near the end of a six-week trial following an extensive two year investigation into what the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office called one of the county's most violent street gangs.

Kastrenakes had sharply criticized the prosecution, characterizing its ambitious case as a "kitchen-sink" that combined charges against the men which were clearly unrelated to any alleged criminal conspiracy.

When his turn came, Assistant State Attorney Greg Kridos walked to the podium and threw his arms out, exasperated .

"I'm sorry, I have just sat, and sat, and sat while my office has been chastised for this case," Kridos told Kastrenakes. "Let's give it to the jury and let them decide."

In the end, Kastrenakes did that, allowing jurors to still consider the main charges against the five. But the judge threw out a significant number of charges prosecutors had wanted jurors to consider when deciding whether or not the men conspired in a criminal enterprise to make money.

Among the charges against Marquis Alfred, 20; James Anderson, 22; Larry Coe, 25; Quamaine Falana, 19; and James Roundtree, 22, that Kastrenakes tossed were several against Coe for check forgery, a 2010 burglary in which Falana was implicated, and a weapons and drug charge against Roundtree which the judge found could not be linked to the alleged conspiracy.

Kastrenakes also asked a second prosecutor, Cheryl Caracuzzo, why he should allow jurors to weigh racketeering charges based on a case where none of the defendants are being charged with crimes they committed together, adding that there has been no precedent for such a case in Florida.

Caracuzzo said prosecutors' unusual presentation was reflective of Buck Wild's unique nature as a non-traditional street gang with no hierarchy.

Alfred's attorney, Thomas Montgomery, told Kastrenakes that if prosecutors wanted to rid Riviera Beach of the alleged Buck Wild members, they could have sought enhanced penalties against them for their individual crimes rather than charge them collectively on conspiracy charges.

Other defense attorneys, including Coe's attorney, Franklin Prince, agreed.

"It's more than clear that the state overreached in this case," Prince said.

Prosecutors said some of the cases Kastrenakes threw out were charges attorneys on both sides had agreed to let go, but defense attorneys left court Tuesday calling the judge's ruling a resounding victory indicative of the weaknesses in the state's case.

Kastrenakes on Wednesday will deliver deliberating instructions to jurors, but the panel will not begin deliberations until June 27.
0 x

Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:43 pm

Another SAO duchebag throwing sh1t at the wall just to see what will stick. Hey Mike, sucks that all your GOOD prosecutors hauled ass when you took over doesn't it?

You and the Sheriff going to stand up at the podium when the jury lets these little thugs walk? No? I didn't think so.

You're a loser, mike, and that is all you'll ever be. Your wife? A winner (and the bread winner) ashamed to be with a loser. How emasculated do you feel Mike?

Don't worry, mike. They have something to help your condition. They call them Tampons.
0 x

Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:52 am

Some of the people in this office disgust me. They had a great case there Kridos stuck to the facts and relevance. Now all these little criminals will probably walk or get a slap on the wrist, laughing at our impotent office and emboldened to commit more brazen crimes. Good job, Kridos.
0 x

Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:11 pm

The best was on Cop Talk Radio last night when the Gotti family guest started slamming McAuliffe and some of the judges and lawyers here in Palm Beach! The show was great, I had to go listen to it again at their site, great show! They need to get that guy back..
0 x

Hollywood

Re: Judge K basically tells ASA Kridos his office sucks

Postby Hollywood » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:43 pm

Kridos is as dirty as they come He and Judge Caroline Sheperd just stomped all over the Constitution yet again yesterday Sickening
0 x

Hollywood

Postby Hollywood » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:43 pm

Kridos is as dirty as they come He and Judge Caroline Sheperd just stomped all over the Constitution yet again yesterday Sickening
0 x

Zest Pool Swimmer

Postby Zest Pool Swimmer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:41 pm

Hollywood wrote:Kridos is as dirty as they come He and Judge Caroline Sheperd just stomped all over the Constitution yet again yesterday Sickening

I would love to hear the details....
0 x

Return to “State Attorney's Office”